Monday 23 June 2014

Skopje Day 7 - 8

23 - 24 September 2013

Day 7: Back to Skopje
After getting off the bus, we headed off towards to hostel. I think each of us thought another person was leading because we got a but lost although made it in the end. We stayed at Shanti 2 because one of the girls in our group stayed there before and gave it a good review, plus it was close to town and the bus stop.

Burger and beer
We went to a burger place that I had walked past a few times when I was in Skopje the first time. It was a tiny hut and served food straight to the street. We had no idea what the lady was saying so once one of us got something ordered, everyone just copied. These burgers were AMAZING! As we munched away, we went for a wander through the markets and the old town and because I had some friends with me this time, I took the opportunity to get some photos taken with random things. We ended our wandering in the pub area near the river where we ordered the 3L beer towers and some pizzas to cure the munchies (I think we were wandering for quite a while).

Back at the hostel we had some Rakia with some Germans who were sporting full body fluoro jumpsuits straight from the 80s and these didn't do justice to their party animal personalities. My notes also tell me that an Estonian girl there taught us that Estonian for cheers/good health sounds like "therapy sex" and saying 12 months sounds like "cock taste good".

Day 8: Exploring
After booking my bus ticket to Belgrade, I went out to look around the town again. This time we went to the bazaar in a big group consisting of two Kiwis, a Canadian, a Minisotean, a Solvenian and two Aussies (including me).

The bus ride was overnight, which I wasn't looking forward to. For food, I made myself a mega sandwich with some processed meat and cheese (as close to ham and cheese as you can get there). It seemed like a good idea at the time but I wasn't thinking of the fact that this meat could be out of the fridge for quite a few hours in a warm bus. Still, I ate it and I'm still here to tell the tale :D

I killed some time chatting at the hostel before jumping on my bus.

The big horse statue
No bull!
Quite a stylish guy
The awesome burger
Boom gates beat you down here
Beer tower!
Rakia on the river

No comments:

Post a Comment