Tuesday 18 June 2013

London Day 3 - 5

7 - 9 June 2013

Day 3: London
It was finally time to venture into London and see what all the fuss is about. I was aiming to do the free walking tour but T-Mobile decided that the web page with the details was "adult content", so I had to work a bit harder to figure out where the meeting point was; the Arc of Wellington. These tours are run by Sandemans/New Europe and they're great because it's easy to make friends, you see some cool stuff and the tour guides are always really knowledgeable and energetic.

Changing of the guard
On the way from Victoria station to the Arc of Wellington, I had to pass by Buckingham Palace where police had closed roads and there were huge crowds. I had no idea what was going on but it seemed like something was about to happen so I stayed to watch. It was only after, when someone mentioned "changing of the guard" that it clicked about what I'd just seen.

Walking tour
On the tour we saw the Arc of Wellington (obviously, we started there), Buckingham Palace, various houses of royal importance, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben (technically just the Queen Elizabeth II tower), Downing Street and Horse Guard's Parade. After we went to a pub where I had awesome bangers and mash and a pretty mediocre beer; it was warm and flat :(

Pub crawl
It's a good way to make friends! Not a lot to say here other than we did 4 pubs and a club but I had to leave the club almost straight away to catch the last train home. It was a good night out.

Day 4: Sheppard's Bush
I made my way into London again to catch up with a friend from Adelaide and her cousin. We had lunch at a Mexican place where I had a burrito that looked like animal guts but tasted fantastic! After we went to Primark, some department store, where it was absolutely packed with people looking for bargains.

Pub crawl, again
The plan was to do the pub crawl again with the Adelaide chick and her mates but they took too long with pre-drinks **rolls eyes** so we just hit up the local pub for some finger food and drinks.

Day 5: Jacket
I did take a raincoat with me but I needed something more presentable and random "English summer" weather friendly. After much searching I finally found something and that was basically my achievement for the day. In other news, I got my headphones hooked on a handrail and killed them :( They will be missed.

More thoughts
-Everything is expensive
-There's not much of a culture shock because there's no language barrier and you see a lot of the same brands
-Overground trains and the tube make it heaps easy to get around but it's not cheap

Changing of the guard

Memorial for Australia's contribution to World War 2 at the Arc of Wellington

Buckingham Palace

A fluffy hat dude

No comments:

Post a Comment