Wednesday 19 June 2013

London Day 9 - 13

13 - 17 June 2013

Day 9: Madame Tussaud's
I caught up with the Californian chick again and she worked her magic to get us into Madame Tussaud's for free (she had free tickets). It was fairly busy but the whole thing is very structured (there's a path to follow rather than aimlessly wandering like a museum) so it's easy to get photos of everyone. It's creepy how real some of them look and a bit disappointing about how short everyone is; I guess celebrities are normal people too.

Natural History Museum
A short tube ride later and we were at the Natural History Museum where we checked out dinosaurs, fish, shells and other sea thingos, mammals and the human biology area. The human biology area pretty much covered everything and definitely didn't hold back on the details; all my questions are answered.

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese
This is an old style English pub that has been there since it was rebuilt after the Great Fire. It is also the pub where Samuel Johnson wrote the first dictionary. We decided to go in for a beer, an organic wheat beer actually, just so we could say we'd been there.

Picadilly Circus
Funny name, I know! We went for a wander to see what we could see and it turns out there's lots of cinemas and buskers. We also found dinner here; I had what was effectively a yiros but in a bread roll. It was even harder to eat than a "normal" yiros!

Trafalgar Square
You have to pay to use the toilets in London (50p) but I found that the ones at Trafalgar Square are free! We were also going to try and get a few photos but that wasn't going to happen when we saw that the Square had been transformed into a free outdoor cinema with a live stream of the ballet (dunno which one). So we followed the crowd and watched a bit of ballet; who said I'm not cultured!

Day 10: Picnic
After a lazy start, I caught up with the Californian chick again where we gathered some picnic supplies and headed into Kensington Park to enjoy the lovely day (with sun!).

London Dungeon
We skipped the tube and walked from the Park to the Eye to enjoy the weather. My Californian friend had free tickets (yay) to the London Dungeon so that was what we did. I expected a museum type thing with displays of what life used to be like.... I was sooo wrong. It's weird right from the start where the first thing you do is take a photo with an axe and wooden stocks. Then you wander through dimly lit, cobblestone alleys, where you meet a crazy bum and a rat handler, before you finally get to the line/entrance.

The whole thing is a cross between a history lesson, a theme park ride and a spooky tour. I thought it was really good fun but the only thing that sucks is you get wet at the start on a boat ride but I can't complain because before you get on, the guy chants "You will get wet! You will get wet! You will get wet! What will you get?" and you naturally reply with "WET!!!". I expected a spray of water but I scored a soaked ass and shoes but the guy did warn me. If you do this thing, take anything that's not waterproof out of your pocket before the boat ride.

Dinner
We headed back to the street where Tuktuk was and decided on an Indian place only two doors away. The food was great, which more than offset one of the waiters who was a bit of a pompous wanker, but it wasn't any better than what I've had in Australia. I still think we're really lucky in Australia to have access to so many different cuisines that are as good as what I've tried so far on my travels.

Day 11: Booking day
I'm sick! Yep, I managed to get a cold during "summer". So I spent the day starting to book the next few weeks of my trip. We also went to see the "Man Of Steel" movie in the afternoon.

Day 12: More booking
More booking. That's about all.

Day 13: Got my swag-ger on
I've got a few camping type things coming up; Le Mans, Goodwood Festival of Speed and Sifnos, Greece, so I needed something to sleep in. I love my swag at home, more so than any tent, so I looked for something similar here except smaller and lighter (and cheaper). The answer was a Czech Army bedroll. We also went to Nandos for lunch where I burned some of the evil out with peri peri sauce.

Patrick Stewart

Tom and Tom

Sean Connery

Nicole Kidman

Hugh Jackman (looks better as Wolverine IMO)

Johnny Depp

Bruce Willis

Sherlock

Terminator

Marilyn Monroe

Daniel Craig... Bond!

Charlie Chaplin (I failed on copying his expression) 

Shrek

Alfred Hitchcock

Muhammad Ali

Hanging out with my mate, Di

Einstein. He was rocking a beer belly (that I copied) but it doesn't show in the photo.

Isaac Newton

Steven Hawking (not very PC, I know)

Some weiner

Kylie (the photo made her look weird)

Christina Aguilera. She is super tiny (wearing heels here)

Madonna

My sister's hero

Borat! Or maybe Freddie Mercury

Elvis

Dalai Lama

Lady Gaga

Hitler. I'm surprised he hasn't been smashed yet

Nick Fury

Hulk getting a bit grabby

Spiderman (he's also small)

Grab (Jessica Alba)

Wolverine (these blades were super festy)

Iron Man (I'm almost as tall)

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese (after the beer)

The Californian chick (and me looking dopey)
Boring sponge! It's not awesome but that's a bit rough

Pansy

Funny looking dudes

Fun with funny mirrors

All my questions... answered!

No, they aren't trapped inside. It's hollow and basically a bunch of bench seats (in Kensington Park)

1 comment:

  1. Hitler hasn't been smashed, he never touches the stuff ;)

    ReplyDelete