Monday 4 August 2014

Day 1-3 Kuala Lumpur

17 - 19 July 2014

Day 1
Leaving home
So it begins again! I'm off for 7 weeks to attend two family weddings in Europe and try to see places I missed last time. I picked Kuala Lumpur as a stop over because it made for cheap flights, it's somewhere warm and I've been there before so it'll be a bit easier to get back into traveller mode.

My flight left at 10am so it was an early morning, for me anyway, and although AirAsia had been given a bad review by people I'd spoken to, they left on time and it's the first flight I've been on that wasn't full so people could move around and space out.

The flight was easy going, the food was good and I had a decent chat with the Malaysian lady who sat next to me. Once in KL, I managed to catch the trains and walk to the hostel all by memory although I was only there 8 months ago so I guess that's no huge feat.

Almost everyone in my room had only arrived that day so we all clicked and were keen to form a group and do stuff. A few of us went for a walk to Chinatown for dinner and grabbed a slushie (frozen fruit juice) drink on the way back although I wasn't game to get pearls/bubble tea ball things in mine.

In the evening we hit the rooftop bar, something that was mentioned quite a bit in my last post about KL. I had a bucket of rum and coke, which was possibly overkill but certainly let me sleep through the loud music easily.

Day 2
Batu caves
It took ages to get everyone organised and we kept adding more and more people to the group but we eventually left around 12 and as a group of 8, made our way to Batu caves. There were lots of monkeys out and about but none of us fell victim to their thievery. The monkeys did try to steal some water from two Japanese girls that were near us but two guys from our group bravely chased them away. The monkeys that is, not the girls.

The group at the bottom of Batu Caves
Last time I was here I missed The Dark Cave but it was open this time so we had a look inside but didn't feel like paying for the tour so we took off.

The group went to McDonalds for lunch but I stayed strong and got Subway instead... :( we're the worst westerners. I wanted Malaysian food but there wasn't much in the train station.

Bars that aren't on the ground
In the evening the group got as dressed up as backpackers could and we went to the Petronas Towers for the mandatory selfies.
Being an idiot with the fountain at the Petronas Towers

We had dinner in the food court, caught the fountain show and then made our way over to the SkyBar, where we ordered a beer tower and some cocktails.

The group in the SkyBar
The next stop was the HeliBar, which is a bar on a helicopter pad and we made it there ok but this place had a dress code that most of us failed. It wasn't all bad though because we could just make the last train home. We almost didn't make it because we tried to buy 11 train tickets at once and the machine kept rejecting us. After some help for the attendant, we did catch the very last train back to the hostel.

Then, you guessed it, roof top bar!

Day 3
Working
I had to check out today and because lots of "the group" were either hungover or had left, I thought it'd be a good chance to try and do some work. Oh yeah, I'm trying to work remotely during this trip to help pay for it and give me something to do in the quiet times.

I'd met another guy doing the same and he told me about Co-work Spaces, which I'd never heard of before. Basically you rent a desk in an office for the day so you can get some work done. I found one that was open in KL and made my way there. The bad news was some company had booked the whole thing out but the good news was they let me sit in one of the empty conference rooms and use their power for free.

In the evening I grabbed my bags, said goodbye to everyone and went to the airport for my flight to London.

No comments:

Post a Comment