Monday 4 August 2014

Day 4 - 5 Oxford

21 - 22 July 2014

Day 4
Check in
I stayed at Oxford Backpackers and the hostel seemed ok. The room smelled a bit like shoes but my shoes stink too so I can't really complain.

Exploring
Oxford is quite small so it was easy to see a lot of it in a few hours. I walked past the castle that still has the old keep (looks like a mound) out the front.
The keep

I also saw Christ Church.
Just inside the gates of Christ Church
Selfie out the front of the church
Looking back at the front of the church
I kept going with my lap around the town and saw the gardens of Christ Church and spied some other church towers above the tree line and came back through the main street, that was packed.
Packed main street

I then walked through part of the university and saw some interesting and no doubt old buildings while eavesdropping on some of the tours.

Then I headed back to the hostel and met some of the people in my room and had a bit of a snooze because I clearly hadn't beaten jetlag in one day. When I woke up, the sun was still up but it was definitely dinner time because the sun sets so late. A bit of a change from the 5:30 winter sunsets at home.

Pub
In the evening I went to the local pub with a few people from the hostel for a few quiet beers and a chat.

Day 5
Next stop
The next place to visit was an easy choice because I just kept heading west on the train to Bristol, which looked like a big city in the area.

Thoughts on Oxford

  • It's quite small.
  • There are schools of the university scattered everywhere.
  • There are a lot of tours run through the city including open top buses and it feels fairly touristy.
  • I probably won't go back because it doesn't seem to have anything to make it different the second time.

No comments:

Post a Comment