Tuesday 12 August 2014

Day 10 - 11 Manchester

27 - 28 July 2014

Day 10
The bus
I jumped off the bus in Birmingham and it was chaos because everyone was pushing to get on the bus while people where still getting off. Why people, why?! Anyway, I grabbed my bag and got out of the way. After the bus had left I spoke with the driver who drove me up (he finished his shift) and he said there were two no-shows so I could've stayed on that bus. Oh well, it gave me a very brief look at Birmingham. I went for a walk around the block and it's not really long enough to form an opinion but it felt big and kind of rough.

The next bus came and there was plenty of room.

Roast
I really wanted a Sunday roast/carvery and everything looked good for it; I was in England, it was Sunday, I found a pub that was part of the same chain I'd had one at before and the pub was still serving food. Unfortunately this particular pub had stopped doing them altogether. Manchester, y u no like Sunday roast? So I went without and headed to the hostel.

Beer
In my hostel, I met two Chilean guys in my room and they invited me out for a beer because they were doing a beer a day challenge and hadn't had one that day yet. We couldn't find any bars open because it was getting late so we ended up grabbing something from the supermarket and sitting in the hostel, which was good fun. I learnt a bit about Chile too.

Day 11
Bus station
The two Chilean guys had to leave so I walked with them to the bus station. On the way back I saw some cool street art.
Manchester street art
And took a selfie with some old looking building.
That super important building
MOSI
I only had part of this day in Manchester and the tourist attraction that stood out to me was the Museum of Science and Industry. What can I say, I like machines and I'm a nerd.
I was there!
They had quite a lot of different things there like this coat.
A thistledown coat
The placard
And a cut-away steam train engine.
Inside a steam train
And various turbo looking machines.
A water turbine
Another water turbine
There were also some nice lobster back bends (I like metal work).
Mmmm... lobsterback :D
I really liked this enormous, articulated train, even if it was really hard to get a good photo of.
Info post of articulated train
The articulated train

In another part of the museum I found some cool photos.
A zebrafish
A nit
Then in yet another section of the museum (there were 5 sections) I found some nice looking bikes and aircraft.
This bike has character!
A row of aircraft engines
A Chinook chopper
Thoughts on Manchester
  • It's a big place.
  • There are a lot of old and interesting buildings.
  • I'm not sure there's a lot to do if you don't like soccer (European football) so I had enough time there.

No comments:

Post a Comment