Monday 4 August 2014

Day 3-4 London

19 - 20 July 2014

Day 4
The flight
The incident where MH17 was shot down only happened a few days before and although I was flying with KLM, the flight codeshared with Malaysia Airlines under MH5632 so I was a tiny bit worried. The pilot did come on the PA system and tell us that we were going around the Ukraine but that would also make our flight longer. The flight turned out fine (obviously, I'm writing this) and the person next to me never showed up so I had an extra seat to myself. I watched Wolf of Wall Street, American Hustle and Gravity, which were all good and then part of Divergent, which wasn't so good. I even managed to get 3 hours sleep in, which is huge for me on a plane.

Transfer
My flight landed in Amsterdam and I had to transfer to one to London. Schiphol airport is huge and for a bit I was worried I wasn't going to make it but the gates opened late so there was tonnes of time.

Peak hour?
It was still quite early in the morning so I thought I'd stay in the airport until after peak hour but it was only just as I was leaving that I remembered it was Sunday, doh! I caught the tube for what felt like forever, found a hostel and checked in. It was pretty crap with 4 triple bunk beds in a small room and not really enough room for any bags but I was only there for one night.

Dinner
I was having dinner with family tonight and I thought I gave myself lots of time but because the train line out to their house was shut, I had to catch the substitute bus. Then the bus had to crawl through a traffic jam because of a festival that was on. I ended up borrowing a phone from a very nice Russian guy on the bus to call my family and let them know why I was so late. I eventually made it and we went for dinner at Chom Chom, an all you can eat place and we ate too much but it was totally worth it.

Day 5
Where to?
I didn't have anything planned but Oxford looked ok so I jumped on a train headed there. I know Oxford university has prestige but hopefully a visit will teach me something.

No pictures for this blog :( I didn't do anything new in London to deserve one.

No comments:

Post a Comment