Tuesday 12 August 2014

Day 8 - 10 Cardiff

25 - 27 July 2014

Day 8
On the train
The train ride was pleasant. I sat in one of the crappier carriages because it was less busy. We even went through a tunnel that goes underwater!

Hostel
Once in Cardiff, it was easy to find the hostel and get booked in. I hadn't planned to meet any travellers here but the Belgian guy I met in Oxford was in my room and the Israeli guy I met in Bristol found me in the common room.
The Belgian and I
Night out
The Israeli guy was going out with some locals he'd met earlier than day and he kindly invited the Belgian and I along with him. We went to a place called The Queens Vaults first then I headed over to the Prince Of Wales pub to meet some girls I'd met last year in Amsterdam. It was great to catch up with them and because it was a birthday, they were planning a big night out.

They went to a club called Reflex after and we tagged along. I met some (drunk) locals in there and they paid the bathroom attendant to spray me with aftershave but with special attention to my crutch; it was nice, I think. The music was a bit cheesy for the Belgian, the Israeli and myself so we took off and went to a rock bar called Fuel where we stayed for the rest of the night. I had a great night dancing and talking to lots of people.

Day 9
Exploring
The Israeli and I went for a look around the city today. We went into the entrance to the castle, where you can see some of the grounds inside, but admission was too expensive so we didn't go in.
Front of the castle
Castle walls with animal statues
We then grabbed some lunch and sat in the park and chatted about all sorts. I now know a lot more about Israel, the Gaza strip and the West Bank. The park was also really nice too:
The really nice park

After the park we headed over to the museum but we were only in there for 5 minutes and they kicked us out because they were closing. Lucky it was free. It was almost 5pm, where did the day go?

We did a lap of the city and got some dinner supplies before going back to the hostel.

Another night out
We went out again tonight and because it was a Saturday night, it was a lot busier. It felt a lot like Amsterdam with all the pubs overflowing onto the streets and every second person you see is part of a hen's or buck's party. So much so that there are people on the street selling hen and buck show merchandise:
Hen and buck show merchandise sellers

The most impressive group of people I saw were all dressed up a green plastic army men. They went all out and had all dark green clothes, helmets, guns and every bit of exposed skin was covered in dark green paint.

We looked at a lot of different places but ended up at Clwb Ifor Bach. It was kind of quiet when we went in there but it soon started to get busier. I went home for an early night while the other two stayed out for a big one.

Day 10
Killing time
I had some time before the bus to Manchester so I went for a walk around the town again. I saw their...um...big ring and stick thing:
The Alliance sculpture

I went Wok To Walk (from my Amsterdam trip last year) and apparently it was popular because I met some more people from my room and two other English girls from the hostel there.

On the walk back to the hostel I spotted a house named the same as the street I live on.
Samsies
Bus
I didn't book a ticket for the bus before hand because I hoped to buy one from the driver. This was a mistake because the bus was full plus I couldn't buy from the driver, it had to be on the internet. However, the awesome bus driver managed to get me on board and take me to Birmingham where I only had to wait an hour for another bus that would get me all the way to Manchester. Someone else said this to me and I have to agree, English bus drivers are just the nicest people.

The big bridge that takes you from Wales to England was very impressive. It's really hard to get good photos while you're on the bus so just use Google.

Thoughts on Cardiff

  • The city centre is quite small and easy to walk around.
  • It seems to be a big party destination for young people on the weekends.
  • The weather was good (locals would say unusally amazing) while I was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment